August 05 2010 at 07:44AM Get IOL on your
mobile at m.iol.co.za
Former premier Lynne Brown said a legal process was under way to release controversial tapes which might implicate her predecessor, Ebrahim Rasool, in a cash-for-favours scandal.
Answering the ANC's Mcebisi Skwatsha on Tuesday in the legislature, Premier Helen Zille said she had had no assistance from Brown since news of the taped recording emerged in November last year.
But Brown said: "What she's not saying is that she's started a legal process against me. Her lawyers have been in consultation with my legal counsel about the tapes."
Continues Below ↓
Brown refused to comment further on the issue, saying that she would first have to consult her lawyers.
The tapes and subsequent investigation will blow the lid off the ugly fight that marred the leadership battle in the provincial ANC, involving two factions led by Rasool and Skwatsha.
This as Zille announced that her officials had handed over documents to the police's commercial crimes unit detailing a trail of alleged corruption under the previous administration of Rasool.
Zille said her officials handed over the dossier, which had been completed by the provincial administration's Forensic Unit in terms of the Prevention of Corrupt Activities Act.
On Tuesday Zille said up to R80-million was believed to have been fraudulently paid out to public relations firms owned by close associates of Rasool and two former Cape Argus journalists, Ashley Smith and Joseph Aranes.
Brown was commenting on claims in the provincial legislature that she had refused to hand over the tape recordings of former Hip Hop Media executive
In the tapes, recorded before last year?s general elections, Pokwana admitted that ?brown envelopes? filled with cash were handed to the two
Ostensibly this was for writing reports favourable to Rasool in his fight against his
political enemies in the provincial ANC.
Smith claimed in an affidavit that a public relations company owned by him was used as a front to channel money, through the awarding of tenders with the then Department of Housing and
Zille raised the possibility of lifestyle audits on some of the provincial ministers responsible for awarding the tenders, saying police investigators would have to ?follow the money?.
?We?ve consulted with Zwelinzima Vavi, to brief the legislature on his proposals for lifestyle audits,? said Zille.
One of the previous MECs implicated, Marius Fransman, earlier told the Cape Times the investigations into his tenure were nothing but ?politicking? and claimed that he had no hand in awarding contracts.