July 28 2010 at 03:13PM Get IOL on your
mobile at m.iol.co.za
By Crime Writer
Cape Town police are formulating charges against a Kalk Bay man who allegedly entered e.tv's Long Street studios and threatened to blow up the building.
The man, who told police he was a 40-year-old fisherman, approached the security desk at the TV studios just before 10am today, asking to see the news editor.
Police spokesman Captain Ezra October said the man had been told that he needed an appointment and was turned away.
"He then became aggressive and threatened the staff at the checkpoint, saying he would blow up the building," October said.
He also reportedly told the security staff that he was appointed by the right-wing Boeremag to detonate bombs in Zimbabwe.
Continues Below ↓
Police checked the building with sniffer dogs but no explosives were found.
Head of publicity for e.tv Vasili Vassi confirmed that there had been a bomb scare at the station.
He said the building had been immediately evacuated, but when the Cape Argus arrived at about11am, e.tv staff were already returning to their offices
Vassi confirmed that everything had returned to normal.
October said the man would probably undergo a psychiatric evaluation to determine his mental state, but for now, police were expecting to charge him under the Explosives Act.