2010-07-09 14:23Email | Print
Read more on:
Journo in court for bomb joke
'Bomb' journo's trial moved
Convicted man back in court
Cape Town – Two men arrested after allegedly making bomb threats at FIFA events appeared briefly in the Cape Town Regional Court on Friday.
Norman Khanyile, 37, who was detained at Cape Town's fan fest this week, had his case postponed to allow his lawyers to make representations to the Western Cape director of public prosecutions for withdrawal of charges.
He was out on a warning, and would be back in court on July 21.
His advocate Murray Zimbler said outside the court that his client said he had merely asked a security guard at the entrance to the fan fest whether the he was searching for "guns and grenades and bombs".
This came after Khanyile's ten-year-old daughter had been told she could not take a soft drink into the fest.
The little girl was taken to the police station with him before being fetched by her mother.
Khanyile is from Goodwood in Cape Town.
The other appearance was by German photographer Bernd-Jurgen Fischer, 68, arrested at the Cape Town Convention Centre on December 4 last year at the time of the World Cup draw.
He allegedly told police and security staff at a security check that his camera contained a bomb.
Fisher, who spends several months every year in South Africa, will appear in court again on August 6 for a trial date.
He is on R5 000 bail.