THE Eastern Cape’s ANC leadership has taken a cautious position on who to support between the warring factions in its youth structure.
Yesterday, provincial secretary Oscar Mabuyane said the ruling party was concerned about what was happening within the ANC Youth League.
“We are very much concerned. Whenever there is disruption in the ANCYL, it has a negative bearing on the mother body,” Mabuyane said.
He made these comments following a meeting between the ANC’s provincial working committee and the disbanded ANCYL leadership on Monday.
The working committee was to have been briefed by both the league’s national working committee and the disbanded provincial executive about the recent failed congresses which have divided the body between supporters of league president Julius Malema and his deputy, Andile Lungisa.
It met the disbanded provincial executive, but the planned meeting with ANCYL national leaders did not take place.
Mabuyane would not say what the provincial ANC’s view on the league saga was, pending a meeting with the national leaders. “We have to wait for the national working committee so that we can take a view as the ANC.
“It would be prudent and constructive for the ANC to have a balance of views. Only then will we be able to say what the ANC view is,” Mabuyane said.
This position is in contrast with the party’s stance at last week’s provincial general council in Port Elizabeth.
ANCYL secretary-general Vuyiswa Tulelo said there were plans to meet the ANC before the end of June.
Since the dissolution of the ANCYL leadership, she said, regional councils had been held in three regions.
But provincial chairman Mlibo Qoboshiyana said the ANC felt that the youth body should be supported in preparation for a proper provincial conference.
He also said the disbanded ANCYL leadership would now prepare for its regional general councils.
Qoboshiyana insisted that the dissolution of the league’s provincial leadership was arbitrary. He had since requested the national leadership to withdraw its decision, referring to a “malicious intent to manipulate”.
Should the league not withdraw the dissolution, he said, the disbanded provincial executive would petition ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe this week.
However, Tulelo said there was no ANCYL leadership in the province. “I would not want to engage with them as I don’t have leadership in the Eastern Cape.” – Daily Dispatch