We are tired of waiting for Zuma’s promises’
03 June 2010
AWAITING ANSWERS: President Jacob Zuma
A FEW weeks ago, I was in a taxi from Soweto to town. Among the passengers were three women from Zimbabwe.
When they were about to alight, the driver warned them not to come back in a hurry.
“Do not come back. It is a good thing that you are going home. Stay there for at least three months. There is going to be war,” he told them.
“We are waiting for everyone to descend on South Africa during the World Cup and we will attack,” he said.
The driver said the taxi industry was tired of waiting for President Jacob Zuma who had promised that he would attend to their grievances after the elections in April last year.
“Before the elections, Zuma said we should wait and we did that. He has now forgotten about us. We are tired and cannot wait any longer.
“Our taxis are being impounded. Government is not being fair and we will fight back,” he said.
Though Sowetan sent an enquiry to Zuma’s spokesperson Zizi Kodwa a few weeks ago, he did not respond. Yesterday he said Zuma was away and could only respond next week.
Two weeks ago, we sent an enquiry to General Bheki Cele’s spokesperson Nonkululeko Mbatha but there was no response by by yesterday. no response had been received from her.
On Monday, Sicelo Sipho Mbatha appeared in the Protea magistrate’s court in connection with the murder of Phumlani Mayisela, 32, who was shot dead in an attack on a BRT bus in Soweto on April 30. Eight other passengers were injured.
Mbatha, who faces a charge of murder and attempted murder, will appear in court again next week.
The first attack on the buses was in September last year, three days after the service was launched. Two people, including a police officer, were injured in that attack.
In another incident in March, Dumisani Mazibuko, a bus driver, had his house petrol bombed.